Wednesday

New Apartment Renter Experience, Tips

When I first started looking for an apartment on my own, I came across an ad in the newspaper that I liked.  I called about the place and made an appointment to go visit.  Now to save you some time what I'm about to reveal are some things that might come up during the initial or later visits to the property.

The first is whether you have someone who would be willing to co-sign on the apartment.  Since my credit history wasn't that good and I didn't have a lot of money, I had to ask my parents to co-sign on the studio apartment I selected.

The next was I needed to be sure I had state issued identification or birth certificate and social security information until I got new ID (if you are out of the country you will need to show your passport), at least six months proof of income, and checking and savings information.  Do find out what is needed before you arrive.

Third, I had to save money for a security deposit.  So upon arrival I needed an application fee.  The leasing consultant said she could hold the apartment for about a week with a small deposit that would go toward the rent.  However, I needed to have the prorated first month's rent and a security deposit prior to move-in.  Depending on credit history, a company might ask you for two or three months rent prior to move-in.

Fourth, if my parents hadn't helped me move, I would have had to pay moving expenses.  Do shop around if you plan on hiring a company to help you move.  Also, check for discounts and coupons.  When I moved later in life, the local newspaper and Pennysaver was helpful.  I saved much money.

Lastly, be sure you budget for things like gas, water, trash, electricity, phone, cable, etc.  Find out what you will need to pay for in advance.  Don't sign any paperwork until you know where your money is going.  Read the fine print.  Also, do not feel pressured to sign everything quickly ask the leasing consultant to give you some time to review the contracts at the office with a loved one or roommate.  Most companies will not allow you to take the leasing contract away from the site, just the application and other material about the community.

Overall, my first transition from parent's home to my own studio apartment went smoothly.  The leasing consultant was kind and patient.  I took the time to tour the suite a couple of times before I moved in.  I paid attention to the exterior and interior of the building.  I checked for any signs of insects and rodents.  I also observed the residents and neighbors.

I had a set time to move-in and arrived early.  I followed the rules given to me and didn't cause any issues.  The neighbors were friendly.  I also maintained a tidy apartment and when issues arose, I called the leasing office as soon as possible.  I paid my rent on time each month and I kept in mind that my parents co-signed on a studio for me, so I didn't want to do anything to negatively impact their credit.  My job paid me bi-weekly so I saved part of my rent out of one check and part of the other out of the next check.  Any additional money that wasn't spent was put away in case of future emergencies.  I listed all my expenses from laundry to creditors.  I knew each month how much money was going out and coming in.  I made extra money freelancing my writing and typing skills.

Here's to your future move!  Stay safe and once again read the fine print!

Nicholl McGuire Apartment Leasing Tips Blog Owner

No comments:

Post a Comment

Things You Might Find Useful on this Blog

apartment shopping apartment decorating apartment organizing moving lease contract about this blog apartment problems maintenance property management apartment hunting how to rent an apartment pest control roommates apartment searching eviction notice landlords leasing consultants security deposit tenant screening Internet apartment shopping apartment move in apartment move out apartment noise blog owner first apartment how to organize apartment mold rent increases renting section 8 30 day notice apartment checklist apartment inspection apartment leasing apartment management apartment rental guides apartment rules apartment tips apartment tour appearance bad landlords bankruptcy buying rentals curb side appeal disgruntled residents electricity fair housing furnace heat moving to New York City neighbors new apartment renters real estate relocation tips rental application renters senior adults senior housing shopping for the apartment shower toilet windows English phrases for apartment problem English phrases to rent apartment HUD Tokyo air conditioning amenities american disabilities act annoying visitors annual inspection apartment abroad apartment budget apartment furnishings apartment investing apartment marketing apartment mobile apps apartment pool apartment renovation apartment rent assistance apartment reviews apartment townhome tours apartment waiting lists apartment workout apartments for rent approval process bad credit bad property management signs bad rental properties bed bugs budget and expenses bug proofing cable can't afford rent canada carbon monoxide cargo container cargo container apartments carpet stains children city apartment rentals clogged kitchen sink clogged shower drain community managers community party rooms couples court credit reports death discrimination domestic violence duct cleaning fall move in date gangstalking garbage disposal gas heater ghost stories gifts good residents guest cards guests haunted hoarding hot water heaters how to avoid rental scams how to find an apartment how to sell your stuff humor leaky roof lofts move in date move in inspection move in specials move out date move out inspection move out parent's house moving to Houston moving to New Mexico moving with children natural disasters new neighbors no hot water in shower no job no rent cap odors on paying rent packing partial rent pets pipes problems paying rent public transportation qualifying quiet hours refrigerator rent to own rental fees rental housing help rental insurance renting a home renting apartments overseas resident retention second hand smoke serviced apartments snow plowing and salting snow shoveling still living with parents studio apartments suite upgrades tardy rent tenant laws tenant rights websites terrace level apartments thermostat trends types of dwellings unemployment unpacking utilities walk through wall paper water water damage water pressure what not to rent work order request